This is over, and it’s time to release another Kali Linux version! Quarter #2 – Kali Linux 2022.2. There are many impressive new features in this release, which can be downloaded immediately or .
This is the summary of the changes since February 2022 :
As with every ( nearly) half year, the version bump is available for GNOME’s desktop environment. Kali2022.2 introduces GNOME 42. This version is more refined and enhanced than the previous versions.
This shell theme has a modern design. We have removed the arrows in the pop-up menus, and used morerounded edges. We’ve updated and modified the dash to-dock extension in order to make it better integrate with the new design and fix some bugs.
This is an example of one of the new Kali themes that will be available for gnome shell:
GNOME 42 has a built-in Screenshot and Screencast tool
GNOME 42 has a new feature: The screenshot and screen recording tool. This is a huge improvement for the user experience. Screenshots are, at the same time, saved to the
~/Pictures/Screenshots/ folder and copied to the clipboard, so the user does not need to find them.
Shortcuts for skipping the On Screen Display dialog
Shift + PtrScr
KDE Plasma 5.24
The Plasma new release is focused on smoothing wrinkles and evolving design to improve the feel of the environment.
Additional Desktop Enhancements
- Turn off the loud motherboard beep by clicking on the logout button! Thanks
- Configure Mousepad to Add the missing line at the end file ( POSIX Standard ). This was particularly problematic if the file was in the terminal. Two files could be printed together to show the last and first lines.
- For multi-monitor configurations, set the default Wallpaper
- Adjust the size of your mouse pointer to stop auto scaling on large displays
- Simple panel layout now available for arm devices. Although the layout that we use for Xfce is perfect, it would not work well on smaller displays. This problem was prevalent on ARM devices such as the Raspberry Pi which can fit a screen that is the same size as the board. We have therefore created an alternate panel layout which is automatically applied to all ARM-based images. This is an example display that has a resolution of 800×480
The CPU graph widget was also removed by this modification. This is due to its horizontal requirements and because it caused a performance loss in low-spec ARM devices.
The last update to the Kali Menu was quite some time ago. The icons for nmap and ffuf were updated and improved, while new icons were created for evil-winrm as well.
The app dashboard now supports the Kali custom icon. The icon displayed the correct image in the app drawer. However, once the program was launched, it used a less quality, pixelated icon. The change only applies to KDE and GNOME desktops. Unfortunately, it does not apply to Xfce. This issue is more obvious on these desktops because icons in Xfce’s panel were tiny.
Automated copy of missing configurations:
Most configuration files stored in Kali do not reside within the
$HOME folder. However, some programs may support it. Some config-files must be copied to the user’s home directory after it is created.
Two issues arise from this method:
- First, it is possible for the system to behave differently if an important file in a folder is deleted.
- Alternately, users will not be notified of config-files until they are created. If an OS updates or program creates a new file or modifies existing files, users will not be able to receive them unless they copy the file manually.
This will copy any
file /etc/skel that is missing from your home folder and replace the existing files. (Your changes won’t get overwritten). If you delete the Zsh shell configuration file, /.zshrc file, it will be removed and replaced the next time that you log in.
VirtualBox shared folder support
VirtualBox automatically adds a new user account to the
Vboxsf group when it creates a user account. If you use VirtualBox, this means that there is now only one step to enable shared folders.
The Terminal: Tweaks
- To improve legibility, make small changes to Zsh syntax-highlighting colors.
Python3-virtualenvhave been added to default Kali installation.
- Added Shell autocompletion to John The Ripper.
All …2john tools (
pdf2john, etc.) You can call them directly now by typing their names, without needing to
Resource packages (
powersploit, etc.) Now you can see a clearer output, with different colours for each type of directory or file.
Hollywood Activate / Kali Screensaver April Fools
joke. A shockingly large amount of people took very seriously. We were overwhelmed by the number of people who contacted us asking for access to Kali 4 Kids.
We wanted everyone to have fun this year and not just laugh at jokes.
Many of us have seen Kali in TV and movies (like Mr. Over the years, we have all seen Kali appear in movies and TV shows (like Mr. We saw an opportunity to pay tribute to our favorite hacking instances and get nostalgic.
Your browser does not support the video tag.
This screensaver was originally created for April 1, but it works great. We thought it was a smart idea to save it so that you could install it anytime you wish.
+--( kaliKIS )-[~] +–$ sudo apat -y install Kali-screensaver
To launch the command immediately, you can install it from your terminal. This will allow you to avoid having to wait for the screensaver launch.
+--( kaliKIS )-[~] +–$ sudo apt.-y install Hollywood-activate +--(kaliKIS )-[~] hollywood–activate
Download the video file and use it as follows:
, we launched official support for btrfs snapshotting under Kali Linux. It is ! It sounds great doesn’t it?
Unkaputtbar injects steroids and Virtual Machines’ snapshots to bare metal.
Ever wish you could go back in time and delete that customer review or install a defective driver (Nvidia)? Just before you go into a board meeting. You’d be wise to continue reading, as you will soon!
These are the features
Other automatic snapshots
You can find more information here about BTRFS Installation .
A preview of Kali Unkaputtbar, in action. It shows all previous snapshots that you can select from the boot menu.
The restriction that prevented GUI applications from running as root has been removed with this update. You can now start any GUI program with sudo (e.g.
If there weren’t any tools, it wouldn’t be Kali! A brief overview of what was added to the network repositories
- – Network Forensic Analysis Tools (NFAT).
- – Ultimate WinRM shell
- is a web crawler that allows for quick and easy discovery of assets and endpoints
- – A fast and versatile HTTP toolkit
- – Dumps LAPS passwords
- – Stealth post-exploitation framework
- Dump Win32 executable file
- – SIP peer-to-peer honeypot for VoIP
- – Graphical Wi Fi Analyzer for Linux
- – A powerful framework to create rogue access points
Kali should be able access as many services and interactions as possible. Databases can contain valuable information, as we all know. has no shortage of juicy information. This client was restored and fixed. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused!
Many packages have also been updated.
Kali NetHunter updates
The legend has created a new tab in the Kali NetHunter App. This tab uses OneShot to execute various WPS attacks from within your Kali NetHunter watch, without having to monitor from your wireless chip.
Initial NetHunter support is available for the TicWatch Pro LTE, Ultra GPS and LTE models. The TicWatch Pro 3 GPS, LTE, Ultra GPS and Ultra LTE have the same functions as this watch except BadUSB. For the next watch release, we are working harder to make it even better! All TicWatch Pros now support – TicWatch Pro 2020, Pro 4G/LTE .
For step-by-step instructions on installing Kali NetHunter onto your TicWatch Pro 3 device, visit our .
Kali ARM News
- Increase kernel size to 5.10.103
- Bluetooth has been fixed.
- Wi-Fi firmware uses now 7.45.206 as default, instead of 7.45.154. With nexmon patches applied
- Raspberry Pi Zero2 W now supports nexmon
Improvements in the
- Kernel is able to support NVME instead of module. This means that Raspberry Pi Compute modules using NVMe as their root device can work right out of the box
- Instead of being built at image creation, the Raspberry Pi is now pre-packaged for ARM64.
- Instead of creating our own, use the Kali kernel or u-boot
USB Armory MKII
- To kernel 5.15, bump
- You can build scripts for either eMMC and SD Card. Although documentation is still needed, you can follow loosely the Radxa Zero Wiki instructions.
kalitweakscan be included in minimal builds
- At build completion, the base directory will be cleaned up instead of being left empty.
Also, we would like to thank for improving
wpa_supplicant.conf handling with Raspberry Pi devices.
Up-to-date Kali Documentation
We have made a few changes to the page. We have added a new page we believe Apple silicon users will love, as well as a substantial change to another page to help users access the “Desktop”, also known graphically user interface – GUI from an otherwise headless instance.
Download Kali Linux 2022.2
New Images: What are you waiting? Get now!
This is something that experienced Kali Linux users will already know. However, for those who don’t, there are you can also use. You can use the weekly images instead if you are unable to wait for the next release or you need the most recent packages . You will be able to update less frequently.
Please note that these automated builds are not subject to QA as we do with our releases images . We are happy to receive regarding those images, as we need to fix any problems before the next release.
Existing Installs: If you already have an existing Kali Linux installation, remember you can always do a quick :
+--(kaliKIS kali)-[~] +-$ echo "deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list +--(kaliKIS kali)-[~] +-$ sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade +--(kaliKIS kali)-[~] +-$ [ -f /var/run/reboot-required ] && sudo reboot -f
Now you should be running Kali Linux 202.2. We can quickly check this by:
+--(kaliKIS kali)-[~] +-$ grep VERSION /etc/os-release VERSION="2022.2" VERSION_ID="2022.2" VERSION_CODENAME="kali-rolling" +--(kaliKIS kali)-[~] +-$ uname -v #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 5.16.18-1kali1 (2022-04-01) +--(kaliKIS kali)-[~] +-$ uname -r 5.16.0-kali7-amd64
NOTICE: output may differ depending on the system .
If you find any bugs in Kali as usual, please report them to our . It is impossible to repair what we don’t know! The Bug Tracker isn’t a bug tracker.
Keep up to date with the latest news and information. Our has and .